Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Recap 2011

First Thing:
What was Christmas this year for me?  It was a whole lot of crazy.
After arriving at the hotel at 9:30 and enjoying a steak and shrimp pasta dinner at the in house restaurant, Nate and I made our way upstairs to our room to end Christmas Eve with some sparkling wine.
 Thank you room 704 for providing the start to an interesting and nontraditional (to say the least) Christmas.

We woke up on Christmas Day around 10:00 am and lazily packed our bags to head out to brunch at IHOP.  There are many crazy individuals out on Christmas Day.  I kept thinking, "What are all these people doing out today?"  Then I realized I was one of those.  I was one of those who flocked to the only place open at 11:30.
And then we hopped in the car and drove the 5 hours home.  This was basically my view driving from Lincoln to Omaha to Des Moines to Omaha to Lincoln to Greeley to Loveland to Greeley to Wichita to Grand Prairie.  We then exchanged gifts and after opening the many Christmas cards we received in the mail while we were gone, jumped in the car and headed to Applebee's to enjoy a gift card.  Again I found myself thinking, "What are all these people doing out today?"

Second Thing:
Nate kept saying that this Christmas was what we made of it and he enjoyed doing whatever we wanted.  He has a point but I still missed the traditional Christmas.  I couldn't quite get it to feel like Christmas that weekend although I tried.  I guess our Christmas tradition is driving on Christmas and eventually when we stop that madness it won't feel so much like Christmas since we won't be traveling.  I know we'll look back on this Christmas and laugh at how unique it was. Until then, I'm still trying to make it feel like Christmas for me.

No comments: