Sunday, March 18, 2012

Peace

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

First Thing:
This past week has been the hardest week of my life.  Harder than when Nate left for Iraq.  My dearest grandmother passed away.  She was such a beautiful person and my heart aches without her.  I used to talk with her about every week and would look forward to seeing her every chance I got.  She taught me so much about being a godly woman, about living life, and being a good wife.  We traveled back to Colorado this week to celebrate her life and for the first time in my life I heard my grandpa cry (which was probably the hardest part of the trip).  On a lighter note, I did get to see a lot of my cousins and I mean a lot.  In the photo below, not even all of them are there. It's blurry but I'll find a better one.
When I got home, it was time to celebrate Nate's birthday.  So we did.  I bought him an assorted six-pack of his favorite beers, made pesto cavatappi (a knock off version of Noodle's & Co. found here.) because it's green, and baked Guinness chocolate cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream cream cheese frosting.  I made them in 1/2 pint mason jars to test it out before the wedding shower I'm hosting this weekend.  They are so good.  They are so good I could eat them every night for the rest of my life, literally.  Despite the fact that he had to report for guard at 3:30 AM on Sunday morning, he said it was the best birthday ever.  He's 26 now, which means he's on the downward slope to 30. . . . YIKES!

Today I spent the afternoon with my family and we went through my grandmother's jewelry, dividing it up among the "five girls".  I was blessed enough to end up with her wedding rings; the first one my grandfather gave my grandmother and the second one he gave her later once he saved enough money to buy her a bigger one.  We will be getting them appraised, so for now I will be wearing my grandmother's original wedding band.  It's so nice to have a special piece of her so close to me.
All I can say is . . . "it is well with my soul". That has been my comfort as of late.

Nate has been a true gentleman through all of this and has been a tremendous comfort.  I can go to sleep without him by my side and he's been so patient, kind, and comforting.  He's a special guy and I'm excited I get to spend the rest of my life with him.  I hope to be married to him for 59 years like my grandparents.

No comments: