Monday, November 5, 2012

Scrabble This

So a long while ago I made my own Scrabble letters to hang in my foyer.  I have the perfect drop down to hang WELCOME on right above my living room entry way.  It was really easy to do, especially since I had Nate cut the plywood.  This summer Nate made a bookshelf for my sister and had a strip 11" wide left over.  I had him cut me 11x11" squares.  They're not proportional in terms of thickness but they look very similar to real Scrabble squares so I don't think it really matters.

I then sanded the edges and any rough spots on the squares.


Then I cut out letters I printed on cardstock and measured and traced them on the wooden squares.  I had to make sure the letters were centered on the squares.

Using my ruler from 2nd grade with Garfield on it!




Then I traced the letters on the wooden squares and began painting.  I started using acrylic paint to paint the letters.  But it looked dull and kind of soaked in to the wood.  Even when I painted a second coat, it still looked relatively flat.  So I ran out to Home Depot and bought a small can of black Rust-Oleum oil based paint and it made a world of difference!  And thanks to Nate's 20% off military discount it was like $3. 


  I still have yet to hang them up but I better do it soon before I have people over to my house on Saturday.  I've had these sitting nicely stacked on my kitchen counter for two months.  Nate said he'd staple them into the wall.  I think that's an awful idea and I will probably use the 3M Velcro Command Strips to stick them to the wall.  Now the question is to put them on the wall like an actual Scrabble board or put them up and angle them slightly.  This is my first craft project in a while and apparently it'll be a while before I do my next one.  I'm trying to decide whether or not I am going to tackle my throw pillows or my curtains first.  

Decisions, decisions.

No comments: