Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

First Thing:
Thanksgiving this year was quite different that Thanksgiving last year. 
Nate and I drove up to Nebraska with my co-worker and her husband.  We left around 3 on Tuesday afternoon and headed to Wichita where we stayed the night.  (I was able to use one of my first comp nights at Hyatt Regency Wichita).  We continued our journey to Brainard, NE, a town of 300, and made our way on to Lincoln.  Nate and I spent the afternoon reminiscing about old times, enjoying lunch at Doozy's (our very first date), buying Husker Christmas gifts, and ending up at his old Air National Guard base visiting with his former Chief and Unit.  We ended the day at Old Chicago with Nate's friends from high school.  It's nice to know his friends are now my friends.

For Thanksgiving, Nate's sister came up from KC and his entire family ways together again.  It was filled with lots of food, games, and fun.  The last time I spent Thanksgiving with his family was four years ago when we'd only been dating two months.  Four years is a long time.
On Friday Nate and I headed to the Iowa v Nebraska game (something we hope to make a tradition) and made a quick stop at D'Leon's to enjoy a breakfast burrito.  After a successful win (and watching lots of drunk college kids) we met up with our friend Mark and his new wife Ellie at La Mexicana and enjoyed some very strong and very delicious margaritas (the guy even added extra tequila in the bottom of the glass before he poured in the actual margs).  Finally we spend the evening around a warm fire watching football and enjoying time with family.

Saturday brought lots more time with family and the wedding of a dear friend, Brian.  I was able to see many college friends and catch up on life. 
On Sunday we drove the entire way back to TX (after another stop at D'Leon's for breakfast burritos).

Second Thing:
All I want to do is rake the leaves in my yard and set up Christmas decorations.  However, I'm not allowed to do either of those things without Nate.  He says, "It's part of the experience".  We got a pre-lit 6.5' Christmas tree and I cannot wait to set it up.  I know a lot of people prefer real Christmas trees and it's the experience of going to get a tree and the smell that makes the memories, but I grew up with a fake tree.  My memories consist of my sisters and I "fighting" over who got to put the red or orange labeled branches on the pole.  I am exciting to set up our tree, decorate it with our small collection of ornaments (homemade and not), light a fire, and watch a Christmas movie.  It's a matter of when.  Nate is occupied with finals, guard, holiday parties, and we'll be heading out to NE early this year to Celebrate Christmas so I'm not sure when our house will look festive.

No comments: